America’s workers are the backbone of our economy.
- I support paying full-time workers a living wage with overtime benefits.
- I support paycheck fairness.
- I oppose “Right-to-Work” laws that hurt American workers.
It should not take a literal Act of Congress to guarantee people who work full-time have enough money to pay for food and shelter. It is past time we changed our Federal Minimum Wage laws so they adjust automatically with inflation, allowing single parents who work full time to support themselves and reducing the number of working poor families that rely on taxpayer-funded assistance programs.
I am pro-worker, pro-employer¹, and I support a $15 living wage that adjusts with inflation ².
I support laws and regulations that guarantee low-income workers receive overtime pay when they work more than 40 hours a week.
I support the Paycheck Fairness Act that seeks to address the gender pay gap and other pay fairness issues.
I oppose “Right to Work” laws which favor employers over employees, weaken worker wages and weaken the ability of workers to organize³.
Our Congresswoman does not support living wage or worker protection laws.
1) Washington Post, Study: Seattle minimum wage hasn’t cut jobs, June 20 2017, https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/apnewsbreak-study-seattle-minimum-wage-hasnt-cut-jobs/2017/06/20/c6480040-55f4-11e7-840b-512026319da7_story.html?utm_term=.893ae936470e.
2) My proposal for establishing a $15/hr minimum wage that adjusts with inflation: Set the National Minimum Wage at 170% of the prior year’s poverty level for a household of two, divided by 2000. (The number of hours in a work-year.) If had a law like this in effect the 2016 national minimum wage would have been $13.07/hr (see 2016 Poverty Level chart); in 2018 $13.80 (see 2017 Poverty Level chart), and the national minimum wage would exceed $15/hr by 2020. More importantly, it would never fall behind.
3) Newsweek, The Slippery Math of Right-To-Work Advocates, May 17 2015, http://www.newsweek.com/slippery-math-right-work-advocates-332555