Immigration Issues & DACA
- Let’s extend permanent resident status with a path to citizenship to undocumented immigrants of good character who arrived in the US as children.
- Let’s protect employers, families, and the health of our communities by allowing established undocumented residents of good character to become permanent residents.
- I support secure borders, but building a wall isn’t the right way to do it.
I support a path to legal status and citizenship for undocumented immigrants who have lived in the US for five years, paid taxes, and not otherwise run afoul of the law. I particularly support extending legal status to our Dreamers, immigrants who came to the US with their families when they were young, as well as a the Deferred Action for Parents of Americans (DAPA) act because it does damage to our communities, our businesses, and out young American citizens when we deport long-term community members.
As a legal immigrant and naturalized American Citizen myself, I oppose overly aggressive enforcement of immigration laws. Overzealous enforcement inevitably results in unanticipated, serious errors that violate the rights of citizens and legal residents. This is exactly what happened on March 27, 2017 in Chicago when Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officers raided the home of Felix Torres, Sr.
Felix Torres, Sr., an unarmed legal resident, was shot during an ICE raid. The target of the was his son, Felix Torres, Jr., a U.S. citizen and victim of sloppy police work.². Torres Jr. likely came to ICE’s attention after a traffic stop because he has a common Spanish name. Both father and son were arrested and released after hours of interrogation relating to their immigration status.
We should wary of aggressive, overbearing, and politically-motivated law enforcement because it always has consequences that adversely affect the freedoms guaranteed to us by the Constitution.
Our Congresswoman does not support Dreamers or immigration reform.
1) CBS Chicago, Family Demands Investigation Into Immigration Agent’s Shooting Of Chicago Man, Mar 28 2017, http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/03/28/family-demands-investigation-into-immigration-agents-shooting-of-chicago-man/?e=j5zqifP8NwCtAg
2) Daily News, Immigration agents shoot Chicago man during raid, reportedly acknowledge they targeted wrong person, Mar 28 2017, http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ice-agents-shoot-chicago-man-acknowledge-wrong-person-article-1.3011036
Photo Credit: Sigurd Decroos, Queue Line, http://www.freeimages.com/photo/queue-line-1166391