Immigration: America can have a heart and secure our borders
- I support secure borders, not a 2000 mile long border wall .
- I believes deporting established community members hurts our community .
- I support a path to legal status & citizenship for honorable people who work and live among us.
I support a path to legal status and citizenship for undocumented immigrants who have lived in the US for five years, paid taxes, and not otherwise run afoul of the law. I particularly support extending legal status to our Dreamers, immigrants who came to the US with their families when they were young. It does damage to our communities and our businesses when we deport long-term community members.
As a legal immigrant and naturalized American Citizen myself, I oppose overly aggressive enforcement of immigration laws. Overzealous enforcement inevitably results in unanticipated, serious errors that violate the rights of citizens and legal residents. This is exactly what happened on March 27, 2017 in Chicago when Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officers raided the home of Felix Torres, Sr.
Felix Torres, Sr., an unarmed legal resident, was shot during an ICE raid. The target of the was his son, Felix Torres, Jr., a U.S. citizen and victim of sloppy police work.². Torres Jr. likely came to ICE’s attention after a traffic stop because he has a common Spanish name. Both father and son were arrested and released after hours of interrogation relating to their immigration status.
We should wary of aggressive, overbearing, and politically-motivated law enforcement because it always has consequences that adversely affect the freedoms guaranteed to us by the Constitution.
Our Congresswoman does not support Dreamers or immigration reform.
1) CBS Chicago, Family Demands Investigation Into Immigration Agent’s Shooting Of Chicago Man, Mar 28 2017, http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/03/28/family-demands-investigation-into-immigration-agents-shooting-of-chicago-man/?e=j5zqifP8NwCtAg
2) Daily News, Immigration agents shoot Chicago man during raid, reportedly acknowledge they targeted wrong person, Mar 28 2017, http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ice-agents-shoot-chicago-man-acknowledge-wrong-person-article-1.3011036
Photo Credit: Sigurd Decroos, Queue Line, http://www.freeimages.com/photo/queue-line-1166391